I’ll be a quarter of a century old this weekend. Can I be honest with you? My life is nowhere near what I thought it would be at 25. There have been failures, heartbreak, tragedy, and sadness. But there has also been incredible joy, love, laughter, success, new beginnings, and change. I have learned a lot over my past 25 years; a lot of it my mother taught me, (thanks Nance) but most of it I have learned from experience. I know I am still young and hopefully have a long way to go, but here are some of the important things that I try to focus on.
25 Lessons I’ve Learned:
- Apologize first, even if you’re not wrong.
- Alone time is extremely important – Take a long bubble bath, watch your show, read a book.
- You HAVE to work your way up in a company. Millienials feel so entitled sometimes, myself included.
- Social media is not a diary.
- Social media is a highlight reel.
- Don’t drunk text. You will most certainly regret it in the morning.
- Don’t drink and drive – come on now….
- Don’t mix liquors. The hangovers get worse as you get older, that’s for dang sure!
- Spend time with your siblings as often as you can as you get older. They helped make you the person you are today.
- Exercise at least every other day.
- Talk to your elders – it is really inspiring to listen to the lessons they learned and the advice they have to offer.
- Be nice to your mom – She had a life before you. Things happened to her just the way things have happened to you.
- Hug and thank your father when you can.
- While it’s nice to have nice things, it’s nicer to travel and have experiences and make memories.
- It’s better to be over dressed than under dressed.
- Manners matter. Wait until everyone has food to begin eating at the table. (One of my pet peeves)
- Open your mind to other people’s opinions. It is okay to disagree but always listen with an open mind – the person may have a good point that you couldn’t see before.
- The way someone treats you is a reflection of how they are feeling about themselves. – Do not take everything so personally.
- DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS.
- It is okay to admit when you are not okay – everybody hurts.
- Help others without expecting something in return.
- You can truly manifest anything you want in this life…I’ll write about this later.
- If you have to think twice about doing something, you shouldn’t do it.
- Pray more often.
- Stop caring about what people think. It is your life and it is short. You MUST do what makes you happy.
I had a hard time condensing this list because life is always throwing me curveballs. I don’t know where this year will take me but I am going to do my best to enjoy every second of it. I hope you all have an amazing weekend! Make it a great day!